Surgical Armboards 101:
What is an Armboard?
Armboards are surgical table accessories that safely support the patient's arms during surgery. They are required in almost every surgical position, including the Supine, Prone, Lithotomy, Lateral, Trendelenburg, and Reverse Trendelenburg positions.
Armboards also provide full access for Anesthesiologists to give medication during surgery.
For Arm and Hand Surgery, we typically recommend an Arm & Hand Surgery Table. These offer a larger operating surface and full C-Arm image access.
How to Choose the Correct Armboard?
Before you start, answer these three questions:
- Does your Surgical Table have Side Rails?
- What is the thickness of your Surgical Table Pads?
- Do you need C-Arm imaging access?
Now that you have these questions answered, its time to understand the different types of Armboards.
Drop Latch Armboards:
We have been selling drop-latch style armboards for over 20 years. They have stood the test of time, and are known as the "Universal Style Armboard" because of its popularity.
The "Drop-Latch" stands for the clamping mechanism that is used to attach the armboard to the surgical table side rails. It's a simple and effective system that works across all types of Surgical Tables.
- ABD-9-24: Universal Armboard, Drop-Latch Style, 6"W x 24"L
- ABD-9-26: Universal Armboard, Drop-Latch Style, 6"W x 26"L
- ABD-10-26: Bariatric Armboard, Drop-Latch Style, 10"W x 26"L
- The Drop-Latch Armboards require Side Rails.
- These Armboards are available in 1", 2", 3", and 4" inch pads.
- These Armboards are not radiolucent for C-Arm access.
Height Adjustable Armboards:
These height-adjustment armboards are designed to match the thickness of any surgical table pad. The unique posi-clamp securely mounts the armboard to the surgical table side rail. Because it clamps positively to the side rails, it will not slide, even in the Trendelenburg and Reverse Trendelenburg positions.
With the clamping mechanism on the side rail, these armboards are radiolucent for full C-Arm Imaging access. The integrated posi-clamps allow for full 180-degree rotation.
- ABP-9-26: Height Adjustable, Radioluscent Armboard, 6"W x 26"L
- This Armboard also requires Side Rails.
- Height-adjustable to match the table pad thickness. Also available in 1", 2", 3", and 4" inch pads.
- This Armboard is radiolucent for full C-Arm access.
Underpad Mount Armboards:
Underpad style armboards are flat boards designed to slide under the pad on the surgical table. Extra material that slides under the pad holds the armboard in place by the weight of the patient. These are often used on stretchers or surgical tables without side rails.
This style armboard is fully radiolucent, proving exceptional C-Arm image quality. The smooth top & bottom surfaces make cleaning a breeze.
- ABU-9-24: Underpad Mount Armboard, 6"W x 24"L
- ABU-13-21: Underpad Mount Armboard: 13-1/4"W x 21"L
- These Armboards do not require Side Rails.
- Each armboard is available in 1", 2", 3", and 4" inch pads.
- These Armboards are radiolucent for full C-Arm access.
Multi-Position Armboard Positioners:
Multi-Position armboards provide for a wide range of comfortable patient positioning. They are ideal for Lateral, Seated/Beach Chair, and Prone Positions. The armboard platform is fully radiolucent for c-arm imaging.
This style armboard requires an additional clark-socket side rail clamp to secure it to the surgical table.
- ABS-6000: Multi-Position Armboard Positioner: 6"W x 20"L
- ABS-7500: Kross Arm Cradle Support: 6"W x 20"L
- These Armboards require Side Rails.
- Armboard is available in 1", 2", 3", and 4" inch pads, Cradle includes Kross Cloth.
- These Armboards allow for limited C-Arm Imaging access.
All armboard pads are available in 1", 2", 3", and 4" inches thick, with four levels of pressure relief. Pads include a center hook & loop Velcro set, with loop Velcro sewn onto the pad for a secure attachment.
All armboard pads are radiolucent for full C-Arm Imaging access.
- Universal Armboard Pads: 6"W x 24"L: View Options
- Universal Armboard Pads: 6"W x 26"L: View Options
- Gel Armboard Pads & Overlays: View Options
- Contoured Gel Armboard Pads: View Options
- Disposable Foam Laminectomy Arm Cradles: FP-191-UF
Most armboards break because they are left on the surgical tables during transportation. We recommend a safe and simple wall-mounted storage solution. These keep your armboards safe and nearby!
- ABD-H: Stainless Steel Wall Mount for 6"W Armboards
If you still have questions, we are here to help! Call Us Today: 800-564-6050
Shop all Surgical Armboards & Armboard Pads.